Monday, November 13, 2017

What Inspiration Is Fame


  

We had the privilege to visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Canton, OH

I may be thinking too much but the  PFHOF was full of inspiration and also full of conflict and confrontation to my reason today. I thought of all the life stories represented in that series of rooms and theaters. Some of the stories I remembered watching (coming from a family of boys) back in the 60s. Some I even invested in emotionally and rooted for them, yelled and screamed at the TV, cried if they lost, and held grudges against "the enemy" team. Football has been a passion for a very long time. I really thought I could grow up and marry Joe Montana.

All 5 boys played football, all for the same High School, different eras, different coaches. Two ended up on the All-Decade Team for that school. Two played in college and one is in the NFL. All are successful, all are famous in my eyes for different things. Football teaches teamwork, tries to instill integrity and responsibility, creates a sense of community, and gives them the opportunity to influence others. I am grateful for those values that my boys have achieved through sports, and it also kept them out of trouble. [Coaches had a strong Code of Conduct]



early gear
Jim Thorpe statue
Jerseys and Helmets
Jim Thorpe


Could have been after last weeks game
Giant men 
Perfect Season Marino

Facts I did not remember, that integration of NFL did not happen until 1962.

It is also a woman's game and more women are getting to know the game daily!
Norm Van Brocklin



The wall of busts of those honored was amazing and breathtaking to take in. In one area of expertise, football, these are acknowledged as the best of the best for their excellence and accomplishment in playing the 'game'.
Larry Czonca
Mike Ditka
Tom Landry




Jerry Rice
Ray Guy
So glad there is a Punter in the Hall of Fame. Ray Guy's Award is the most prestegious accomplishment for punters.

Ryan Allen won the award twice, back to back. 2011, 2012
Jerry Rice we met at the ProBowl. Many of the players went on to do great things because of the character that they gained or chose during their time playing. There are a lot of tragedies that happened to some of the men in the HOF, also. Integrity is something one must choose.

The paths to this room were all different. There are legacies shown here, some even from the same family. Some team legacies and some from areas of the country. Below is the display of the QB Kurt Warner. I love his journey because of what it took to get to this room. He was a free agent who had to play in other than NFL realms, arena, several teams, and yet this man has the place of fame in the ranks of many others. We especially sought out the Rams players. Good representation.

I am going to create my own Hall of  Fame with the focus on the unseen rather than the nationally and globally broadcast heros. There are heroes every day in our life. I also want to celebrate those men, like my husband who served developmentally disabled adults for 32 years and loved them.  He also overcame some amazing adversities and chose integrity.

Parents of autistic or disabled children that will always be with them.  Heroes. Those who beat addictions and chose a better life, heroes. Those who serve, military, police, doctors, nurses, firefighters, EMTs, Teachers and others whose small monetary gains cannot pay for their personal service. Heroes!

My Hall of Fame may even include you!








1 comment:

  1. Ouch to the Giant's helmet comment! And yes, for sure, Otto, uh i mean Robert, is in my HOF as well! I'm still crawling upwards towards daylight from the HOS (hall of shame)!

    I've been to the Hockey HOF and the Baseball HOF, but now I've gotta get to this one as well.

    ReplyDelete

Please bless us with a kind comment, no trolling please!