Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Fall, Old/New Friend, The Farm

Fall

Since we left the Pacific Northwest in September,  we have been chasing fall foliage, crisp cool air, and beautiful places to walk and hear the crunch of leaves underfoot. My husband was raised in New Jersey and knows how beautiful 'back East' can be. I lived in Virginia and know, in a small way from one trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains, that this time of the year can be glorious. Yet, deep in my soul, I knew there would be something magical as I am now able to see it together with Bob. We are able to explore places I had never been and meet people I unknown to me. I can also see some current-friends I have been missing this trip.

Because we are chasing Los Angeles Rams football games, we started by heading to LA. If you have been reading the blog, you know the path... Hot, hot, hot and more-hot was the result. I am not a sun worshipper, the opposite is true. I was aching to get back to long sleeves, down vest, and denim. I made it through the south. We were blessed by the people, cursed by the bugs, and excited by the history.

When we left Ft McAllister we had every opportunity to go through the Appalachians, the Smokies, and the Blue Ridge mountains. I looked at recent posts online and the pictures showed leaf changes barely starting, mostly green in the shots. 

We decided to NOT go out of our easiest course to the mountains, but to simply head north to Jersey and Bob's (OTTO) dear high-school friend Rick's farm. When we hit New Jersey we found fall! Each hour in the rig became more and more beautiful. 

Because of that, we arrived earlier than expected. We were received in the most beautiful fashion with director's chairs seated out in a beautiful part of the field away from the house with an amazing look at his fields and barn. Over the next couple days we talked, ate, and rested inside his house with him. 

He showered us with love and great conversation. This man is remarkable in his capacity to care. There was not a second of feeling like an imposition or burden but we felt like a joyful event.


He cooked us tasty dinners spiced with stories and laughter. We both raised families of boys, us with 5, Rick with three. Each one different, smart, remarkable, blessings to our lives. 

There are so many stories. Parents are full of them since we are so in love with all of our children. 

Now Rick knows the boys nearly as well as we do.




While we were having dinner and hanging out we got a call that our number 10 grandchild was born. She is healthy and the birth was quick and easy. This is the first grandchild that we have missed their birth, but we will have to spoil her extra! Here is our greeting we sent out to her. We talked and played Scrabble (Rick and I) and it was a great game. I was ahead nearly 100 points much of the game and then was finally eclipsed on the last word. I, l---, well Rick w--, well we played valiantly and the outcome was appropriate, baring Rick's bad math skills.


We talked about a dear neighbor of Rick's that Bob knows who is battling cancer and in the hospital. On Friday, I decided to stay back and rest and do some sketching at the farm. The boys went to lunch and had an opportunity to meet with Frank in the hospital. The joy everyone shared because of the opportunity to care for each other was such a blessing. One Bob will not forget. He has talked about Frank since he visited the farm without me two years ago. This is Frank's garden, winterized ready for planting. Lord, grace Frank with many more years in this garden and bring forth a crop of good food and even better friendships.


They had lunch in one of Rick's favorites and came back to the farm full inside their bellies and their hearts. 

          
Welcome to Fall - And the Tranquility of Bear Pond Farm

























5 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog...I want to be "you" when I grow up <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love your adventures Aunt Joy and Uncle Bob. Travel safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful name for such a beautiful place! I'm rather fond of bears. So glad that you two are on this journey together and sharing it with us! Fall is my favorite season and it's great to see your gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to meet this guy Rick. Does not seem like anyone I know. But If I DID happen to know him, I could tell you that he was honored to have such beautiful human beings, with so much love in their hearts, so much passion for life, and so much love AND passion for their kids and grandchildren and friends, that the farm, having been a farm for more than 300 years, was graced and honored by Bob and Joys visit and visceral connection to it. Its a better place today, both spiritually and physically (Bob collected some wood for a bonfire that we'll all have shortly,) which is i'm sure a story for Joy to tell another day (but in the very near future).

    Mama Bear Joy was a revelation to me; although we felt like we had long known each other. We are instant lifelong friends. And what's his name, her husband, my actual lifelong friend, brought with him his gentility and love and generous spirit, and after a long month on the road, leaped at the chance to throw some loveshine on my neighbor Frank, who was kicking cancer's ass in the hospital. If you heard Bob demanding to be part of my plan to go hang with Frank ("Can I bring my guitar? - which to me conjured up nightmares of the singing nun) you would have fallen in love with him all over again. Two living examples, again in an age of horrible examples, Joy and Bob give us a blueprint of how to relate to one another, respect one another, love and respect the land and our glorious nature, and then are as obsessed by delicious food as I am. Throw in an all-enveloping love for their sons and families, and you've got the blueprint for the way forward for all of us in the 21st century. Bob and Joy have special gifts to give this world, and to those of us who are lucky enough to be in their physical and spiritual path.

    That said, Joy and I had a competitive Scrabble battle; tiles were flung, some curses were either expressed or thought, but this guy Rick prevailed in the end. Rumor has it though, the scoresheet disappeared mysteriously, right afterwards. Rick claimed he saw it rise towards the heavens mysteriously, but then again, i hear he gets his ups and downs mixed up.
    Lastly, with the Hekkers supplying some yummy munchies and snacks (including this awesome crab dip), we did manage to eat copious amounts of food, although Joy is too humble to admit she was fasting on behalf of a friend in need, and so spent that day painting a stunning portrait of the barn and fields. Bob and I did our best to eat like pigs (or Rams), just to torture her. Didn't work. She is stronger of will than both of us combined.

    The Farm, and Tranquility, await the admirals return, and cant wait for love and laughter to grace the farm again very shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to read about such a beautiful place and visit...

    ReplyDelete

Please bless us with a kind comment, no trolling please!